The Collen family traces its building and quarrying
routes back to 1810 in the County Armagh area. John
Collen was a stonemason who lived and worked in the
townland of Knockmore, in the Barony of Ballinamore,
County Armagh. One of his earliest recorded contracts
in the area was the construction of a bridge over
the Newry Canal.
Collen Bros opened its doors in Carlton Street, Portadown
as a building contractor in 1867 and subsequently
moving into Hanover
Street in the early 1880's.
Collen Bros established itself as a large building
and joinery firm during the late 1800s and completed
many notable building projects such as the Court House
in Portadown, Methodist Church Armagh, Keady Town
Hall, Methodist Church Banbridge, St Patrick's Donegal
Place Belfast and the Hibernian Bank Letterkenny to
name a few.
Bros has a very successful history of building throughout
Ireland and some of the major project undertaken are
displayed in our
products and contracting
sections. Collen Bros are also members of The Quarry
Products Association Northern Ireland (QPANI) which
is Northern Ireland's top trade association for the
A very interesting book was produced by John Walsh
and published in 2010 to mark a milestone of the family
in the construction business for 200 years.
here for more information about the book
This book discusses the many projects undertaken
throughout the past 200 years, this includes work
for the Great Northern Railway, RDS Dublin, Educational
Authorities, religious bodies, air raid shelters during
the second world war, and the construction of Craigavon.
It also sheds light on how the industry and thus company
has changed and adapted over the last two centuries.